Northeast Health Foundation recognizes that it is through the great vision, leadership and generous support of our donors that we are able to continue to fulfill our mission to provide a high-quality accessible continuum of healthcare, supportive housing and community services.
We've established our donor recognition societies as a way of saying thank you to our supporters and to recognize their participation as benefactors.
All our donors are appreciated. Membership societies and benefits are based on the cumulative annual level of giving:
The compass rose has appeared on navigational charts and maps since the 1300's. The term "rose" comes from the figure's compass points resembling the petals of the well-known flower. The compass rose, which has helped guide many sailors safely across uncharted waters, serves as an integral component of the Northeast Health logo. Like the compass rose, Northeast Health has helped chart course for the delivery of innovative healthcare and community services for people throughout the Capital Region. Donors at this level receive:
In April 1609, a ship named the Half Moon was commissioned for the Dutch East India Company to discover a Northeast Passage to Asia. Her captain was explorer Henry Hudson who set sail from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. After only of month on the water, Hudson's crew of 20 became restless and spoke of mutiny as the Half Moon encountered cold weather and arctic ice floes that continually blocked their way. Hudson then changed his course and began a search for a Northwest Passage to China. In this effort, he came upon the mouth of a wide river that had been previously founded but never explored. Today, this river is known as the Hudson River. Hudson explored this body of water believing he may have found the passage for which he was searching, but as he reached what is now known as Albany, the water was too shallow for him to continue. Hudson realized it was not the passage he was searching for, but claimed the region he explored for the Dutch and opened up the land for settlers who would follow. His voyage came 10 years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. Hudson was a pioneer then, just as Northeast Health is today ... opening up new opportunities for future generations on both sides of the river that bears his name. Donors receive:
Mr. William Lacy (1806 - d. November 15, 1887) was the owner of William Lacy & Co. Insurance Agents. In addition to being a successful businessman, he was also a humanitarian. He was very involved with the Episcopal Church and was First Vice President of the St. George Benevolent Society when it was organized in 1860, and by 1886, was elected President. In 1867, there was a "meeting of friends and contributors to the establishment of a homeopathic dispensary." According to records, " the object of the association shall be to establish a homeopathic dispensary in the City of Albany, for the purpose of furnishing medicines and medical attention to persons who are unable to pay for them." A meeting was held in 1867 to approve the by-laws for the dispensary and elect a Board of Trustees. Mr. William Lacy was elected president at this time. The dispensary's official title was Albany City Dispensary Association and was incorporated in 1868. In 1871, led by Mr. Lacy, the Trustees of the Dispensary Association met to discuss the need for an institution where inpatients could be treated by homeopathic physicians. They adopted a resolution directing that steps be taken to found and incorporate a hospital which was to be known as the Albany City Homeopathic Hospital. The merger of the Albany City Dispensary Association and the Albany City Homeopathic Hospital was accomplished in 1875 and was called the Albany City Homeopathic Hospital and Dispensary. In 1907, the name was changed to The Homeopathic Hospital of Albany, NY. With the changing trends in medicine, allopathic physicians as well as homeopathic physicians began to practice at the hospital and in 1923 the name was changed again to Memorial Hospital of Albany, NY. Donors receive:
Dr. Everard Ferguson (May 9, 1843 - d. September 8, 1906) was born in Moscow, New York. Educated at Genesee College, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor and Bellevue Hospital Medical Center, he graduated with a Science of Medicine degree in 1868. He started his practice in Essex, New York, but moved to Troy in 1878 where he became a very successful practitioner and community leader. He was a member of the New York State Medical Association, the A.M.A., Medical Association of Troy and Vicinity, and Secretary of the Rensselaer County Medical Society. Dr. Ferguson's office was the site of many meetings during the days when the framework of Samaritan Hospital was in progress. Troy already had two hospitals, but there was a need for a hospital that would be non-sectarian in nature and designed to serve people with financial means, as well as the destitute. In 1896, this hospital started to take shape. Dr. Ferguson was elected Chairman of the First Medical Staff of Samaritan Hospital in 1897, and the first patient was admitted on September 12, 1898. Dr. Ferguson served Samaritan Hospital until his retirement on April 18, 1906. Donors at this level receive:
Elizabeth Hart Shields Eddy (January 2, 1852 - d. October 30, 1943) was born in Troy and graduated from the Troy Female Seminary, now known as the Emma Willard School. She always had an interest in community activities and was an active member of the Board of Women Managers at Samaritan Hospital. Mrs. Eddy had the vision to realize that in future years some kind of institution would be needed to care for women with chronic or incurable diseases, many of whom had no family to assist them. After Mrs. Eddy's husband, James A. Eddy, passed away, her desire to establish a memorial for him and the idea for an institution for the chronically ill came together. On December 15, 1925, Mrs. Eddy offered the Samaritan Hospital Board of Directors funds to construct such a facility. The Board of Directors accepted the offer and on June 15, 1928,the dedication ceremony was held for the James A. Eddy Memorial Foundation. Mrs. Eddy was a member of the original Governing Board of Directors, and continually donated money to see that the budget balanced each year. Donors at this level receive:
For more information about our special donor societies, please contact Northeast Health Foundation at (518) 274-0190.